Are you prone to swallowing a handful of antacids for acidic discomfort? If you are, halt and check it out! Excess secretion of acids in the gastric glands of the stomach produces gas, bad breath and stomach ache. Common causes of acidity are long gap between meals, empty stomach or excessive intake of tea, coffee, smoking or alcohol. Unusual secretion of acids results in heartburn or acid reflux or GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) which is normally triggered when we eat a heavy meal or spicy foods. Acidity can turn out to be quite annoying. In order to get rid of it, we often opt for various remedies. What about trying some home remedies instead of over the counter antacids? Here are some remedies for acidity available in your kitchen:
- Basil Leaves: Basil leaves can give you instant relief from acidity for its soothing and carminative nature. At the first sign of gas, eat a few basil leavesor boil 3-4 basil leaves in a cup of water and let it simmer for a few minutes. Sip on it frequently. This is one of the best home remedies for acidity.
- Fennel: For its multitude of gastrointestinal benefits, fennel tea helps the digestive tract be healthy and happy as it assists indigestion and bloating because of the oils found in these seeds.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon is a powerhouse of nutrients and loaded with health benefiting properties. Cinnamon tea heals infections in the gastrointestinal tract.
- Buttermilk: Ayurveda terms buttermilk as a sattvic food. So, the next time you get acidity after eating a heavy or spicy meal, skip the antacid and drink a glass of buttermilk instead. Buttermilk contains lactic acid that normalizes acidity in the stomach. Sprinkle a dash of black pepper or 1 teaspoon of ground coriander leaves for best results. Drink plain buttermilk several times a day until you get relief.
- Jaggery: For its high magnesium content, jaggery (gur) boosts intestinal strength. It aids digestion and makes your digestive system more alkaline in nature, thus it reduces stomach acidity. Suck on a small piece of gur after a meal, and reap the benefits.
- Cloves: Over the years, cloves have grabbed a prominent place in traditional Chinese medicine and Ayurveda to treat digestive disorders. Cloves are carminative in nature, so it prevents the formation of gas in the gastrointestinal tract. Add cloves while cooking foods like kidney beans or black gram that tend to cause flatulence. You can even eat crushed cloves and cardamom(mixed in equal amounts) to treat acidity, and get rid of bad breath.
- Almonds: It helps for heartburn since it neutralizes the juices in your stomach, relieving and preventing acidity overall. Almonds and other dry fruits can also be taken as a munching in case if you are in a meeting and not able to take your meals on time so that fasting does not create hyperacidity. Have 3-4 almonds after eating.
- Cumin Seeds: Cumin seeds work as a great acid neutralizer, aid digestion and relieve stomach pain. Slightly crush some roasted cumin seeds, stir it into a glass of water or steep one teaspoon of cumin seeds in a cup of boiled water and drink it after every meal.
9. Ginger: Ginger possesses many health benefits. To help neutralize stomach acids, you can chew a slice of fresh ginger, or have a spoonful of ginger juice two-three times a day, or steep fresh ginger in a cup of boiling water and drink up.
10. Cold Milk: For those who are not lactose intolerant, milk can help stabilize gastric acids in the stomach. It is rich in calcium, which prevents the buildup of acid in the stomach.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: To relieve acidic pain, simply mix 1-2 teaspoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a cup of water and drink it once or twice a day. You can also take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, and chase it with a glass of water. Simply add apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and drink it before meals.
- Coconut Water : When you drink coconut water, your body’s pH acidic level turns alkaline. It also helps produce mucous in your stomach, which protects the stomach from harmful effects of excessive acid production. Since it is rich in fibre, it aids digestion and prevents the re-occurrence of acidity.
- Banana: Bananas contain natural antacids that can act as a buffer against acid reflux. This is the simplest home remedy for getting rid of acidity. Eat one banana every day to prevent discomfort.